this portion of the 2nd Philippine Economic Revolution (which starts today, beeteebuds) is dedicated to THE one Human on Our One Good Earth, who taught me what, according to the Coloma Hawz Style Guide, “the Truth, the WHOLE Truth, and NOTHING BUT the TRUTH,* means (BOHBEEE please note proper use of serial commas, also, learned.from.you; uy! salamat ha?!)

boh-beeeeee when i made this thing it was because i thought of that day ya whooped mah ass for a presscon at manila hotel that went on and on and on on and on (you said) (i thought the 2 hours waz mebbe overlong; but The Voices in My Head – you know) you said this……

why Satan is SO pissed at God

the following is based on a true story, as it is written in The Scriptures i am NOT making this up; not this time SEQUENCE 1, SCENE 7 Exterior. Heaven. Past, Present, and Future. God SATAN! Satan Dear God! God I LIKETH NOT THY TONE! Satan what I was going to say, dear God, before……

Mila del Sol: the Eldest Corporally-Persistent Elder of the Philippines (1890-present)

ma mama so old, she best friends with ALL the Presidents of the Philippines ( go tell ma mama i said she old – see who she believe ) Baranggay Rivera Romero Baranggay Mila del Sol Asuncion Bondoc Bunye Cruz Dalusong Hensel Rivera Romero Villarba Young Tambunting Baranggay Eddie Romero Gabaldon Gonzalez Rivera Romero Romulo Sinco Villanueva…

Hypocrisy

Rewrote the Wikipedia entry on Hypocrisy with some expert friends in 2014. It’s been the stable version for over a year, so I’m rerewriting it this week, with the help of people who know what they’re talking about (sorry: who know about what they talk). Hypocrisy  …

nanogrants for Wikipedia editors

our Demented Mother, Mila del Sol, 93, (who really does have dementia, this time) told me on Christmas Day that i was demented for not allocating funds specifically for the purpose of training “the poor” on how to improve Wikipedia. so as to Honor Our Mother (as if we had a choice), The Mila del Sol……

nanogrants to end systemic bias in Wikipedia

thank you for helping us end systemic bias and gender bias in Wikipedia you do not have to be an officially recognized organization to qualify you do not even have to be an organization just please let us know, using the form below, which do-gooders on this list https://twitter.com/LeoRomero/lists/do-gooders/members, or friends+family on this list https://twitter.com/LeoRomero/lists/family-friends/members sent you here, and how……

Best practice malpractice

First in our Best practices in Community Empowerment series. I was asked to prepare a presentation for the “Someone’s Done That Already: the Best Practice of Using Best Practices” session of the June 2 Craigslist Foundation Boot Camp on Empowering Communities. So I got help from a few friends who know far more about best practices in……

إلى إخواني وأخواتي، أبناء الله To my sisters & brothers, Children of God

The Ring of The Romeros

إلى إخواني وأخواتي، أبناء الله أنا لست مسلم أتمنى لو كنت على مسلم ولكن أنا لست مسلم أنا لم تم اختيار فإن النبي لا ندعو لي أعتقد أنني أسمع صوت الله، ولكن هذا هو الصوت الذي أجدادي يعتقد انهم سمعوا عندما أحضروا الحرب على شعبك أجدادي، الذي قدم لي هذا الخاتم (لعنة، من عمل الشيطان)،……

Building communities inside out

In distressed communities across the United States, savvy organizers and leaders are rediscovering ancient wisdom about what builds strong communities. Serious community builders have no choice but to return to basics, to the communities themselves to rediscover and mobilize the strengths, capacities, and assets within those communities. Communities can only be built by focusing on……

5 rules of community engagement

Building strong communities is not easy. Even so, my 32-year background in community building has taught me some simple rules of engagement that still hold true today. 1. Have Fun Cesar Cala, a community activist in the Philippines and now in Calgary, told me, “The problem is those GD activists.” “GD activists?” I inquired. “Yes,”……

Lessons learned – Jim Diers, in Neighbor Power

I will conclude by summarizing what I have learned about community, community organizing, community initiatives, and the role of government. A neighborhood is not the same as a community. A neighborhood is a geographic area that people share, while at community is a group of people who identify with and support one another. Strong communities……

Core principles of community building

Community building — the process of strengthening the ability of neighborhood residents, organizations, and institutions to foster and sustain neighborhood change, both individually and collectively — is vital to the work of Comprehensive Community Initiatives and many other community-change efforts. The belief that community residents can be agents of change, rather than just beneficiaries or……

11 key elements in transforming public spaces into vibrant community places

Thanks to Richard Layman for pointing us to PPS, and to Bill Berkowitz for recommending the book. The Project for Public Spaces (PPS) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to helping people create and sustain public places that build communities. It has identified 11 key elements in transforming public spaces into vibrant community places, whether they’re……

Icebreakers & games for team and community building

Some free icebreaking, team-building, community-making resources and selections, mainly from nonprofits, schools, and government agencies. Some notes on when to use icebreakers, and what makes them good – from the Resource Center of the Corporation for National & Community Service (@nationalservice). “Icebreakers are often used to encourage people to open up or feel comfortable, invite……

Capacity Inventory samples

Source: Discovering Community Power: A Guide to Mobilizing Local Assets and Your Organization’s Capacity | The Habitat Exchange. A. From Greyrock Commons Co-Housing Community GIFTS I CAN GIVE MY COMMUNITY GIFTS OF THE HEAD Things I know something about and would enjoy talking about with others, e.g., art, history, movies, birds. GIFTS OF THE HANDS……

“A very Intense and complex balancing act”

Excerpts from “A Very Intense and Complex Balancing Act” – a Reflection by Oakland Making Connections Coordinator Fred Blackwell via Site Stories. The local people who took on the role of coordinating the Making Connections work in the 10 sites faced a great challenge: how to pull together and be an advocate for local people……

Project Ideas for Make a Difference Day

These projects by past Make A Difference Day honorees can inspire your brainstorm sessions for ideas on how your group can use its special services to make a difference. Also on this site: planning guides and other resources to help you turn your ideas into good deeds. TEEN GROUP LENDS A HAND: 75 volunteers from……

Community Policing – Theory & Practice

from Community Change: Theories, Practice, and Evidence (pdf). Amie M. Schuck and Dennis P. Rosenbaum. Edited by Karen Fulbright-Anderson and Patricia Auspos. The Aspen Institute. The community policing era, roughly 1970 to the present, is arguably only the third period in the history of American police reform, following the political era, 1840s–1920s, and the reform……

KaBOOM! – Empowering Neighborhoods and Restoring Play

In Empowering Neighborhoods and Restoring Play, Psychology Today columnist Peter Gray asked his readers to help him develop a proposal to build a neighborhood play and learning center “that could serve as a model that communities everywhere might emulate”. I said I’d help, and after putting in a few hours, recommended that he check out……

KaBOOM! Playground Build in West Oakland

Some of my pictures, videos and tweets from the KaBOOM! Playground Build Day at Wade Johnson Park and the Oakland School Police HQ, Acorn & Lower Bottoms neighborhoods, West Oakland. From an introduction by Carletta Starks, one of the principal organizers of the event:  Why Wade Johnson Park: OUSD Police Services Chief, Pete Sarna, recognized……

National Night Out resources and ideas

These are some resources you can use to plan community-building activities in your neighborhood around National Night Out. The National Night Out website. From the About page: NNO is designed to Heighten crime and drug prevention awareness; Generate support for, and participation in, local anticrime programs; Strengthen neighborhood spirit and police-community partnerships; and Send a……

Organizing for safety: Transforming community activism into community change

Notes from Organizing for Safety: Transforming Community Activism Into Community Change, by George Loew Lessons learned Organizing is more effective when it is done in support of a particular goal rather than only in opposition to an existing condition. While anger and frustration motivate temporary involvement, the coalition which forms around specific objectives is more……